Integrated Optimization of Air Transportation Systems - Aircraft and Network
The main goal of this research project is the development of a Multidisciplinary Design Optimization (MDO) framework that incorporates a highly detailed airplane model and optimization of airline networks.
Two optimization approaches for aircraft and network-integrated designs were evaluated, according to airlines and aircraft manufacturers’ objectives.
Main take-aways are:
1. Maximum Network Profit (NP) solution
- Minimum network connections.
- Bigger aircraft than Min DOC. Significant minimization of fleet investment (CAPEX).
- Annual profit significantly higher than min DOC solution.
2. Maximum aircraft manufacturer´s NPV solution
- Maximum network connections
- Biggest Aircraft. Increased fleet investment (CAPEX) – Maximization of OEM´s profit.
- However brings also high annual profits for the airline.